Sunday, October 31, 2010

The Darndest Things

Hafiz: Mariane, what is SMDS (my current employer)'s staff retention rate?

Mariane: 90+ %.

Hafiz: 97-98%?

Mariane: About there.

Hafiz: Do you know that somebody will be leaving SMDS soon?

Asma: It's me.

Hafiz: No la. Someone else.

Asma: No seriously, it's me.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
After playing 4 games of volleyball and enjoying every part of it, we went for a group dinner. While waiting for our food to arrive, we decided to play Sudoku & Scrabble International on Hafiz's iPad. Hafiz is the Master at Scrabble (Sudoku, volleyball and pretty much everything else). He is also a pretty decent cool guy. Amir & I were being coached by Hafiz because we were noobies. Hafiz's tile was as follows:

ERBOING

All: What word are you gonna use?

Hafiz: BONER?

Asma: whoah....is that even in the dictionary?
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
At the volleyball game, our friend Hanim played in another team. Though we train together but play on separate teams, she however came to support us.

Hanim: Asma, make sure the ball goes ABOVE the net! I'm gonna PRESSURE you so you perform!
Asma, be alert! Asma what are you DOING!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ms Sweets: How do you stay happy all the time?

Asma: (very surprised) You think I'm happy?

Ms Sweets: Yes. So many unimaginable things have happened to you through out but I see that you are happy.

Asma: (thinking) It's hard work. Daily mental programming. Normally I just switch off. In really difficult situations, I allow myself time to grieve, then I release what was hurting me (object) and pray for the happiness of the object. I don't know how other people do it. It has worked for me.

Ms Sweets: My mom said the same thing.

Asma: Your mom is smart. Listen to her.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Emir is trying to assemble a DVD player. He leafs through the manual pretending to read it. He goes to the store room and takes out the tool box. Emir's mom Ilham and I observe him intently. Emir reaches out to his mother, puts his hand on her arm...

Emir: Ibuk jangan risau OK. Emir buat.

Ilham and I look at each and speak in telepathy: Emir, we are worried BECAUSE you're doing it.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Emir: Muah (auntie), jom pergi swimming

Muah Ach (me): Hujan la, Emir.

Emir: Kita pakai topi la

Muah Ach: Ada guruh la.

Emir: Kita tutup mata la.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I miss my nephew Emir la pulak!

4 comments:

  1. really? somewhere better? where?..(also first part)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes Mynie, Yes Deeb. It's time to move on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love reading about your nephew. He sounds adorable.

    ReplyDelete