Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Social Engineering

In December, my department was a given an intern. His name is Jonathan. John hails from Kuching and is completing his final semester at a local university UiTM Sarawak campus.

Ever since my days in Port Dickson, I have always enjoyed having interns. Something about imparting what you learned at the office, and relating that to what you've learned from textbooks and your lecturers excite me. When I can, I also try to relate it back to Islamic concepts.

With John, the experience is two-fold. I find him enthusiastic, confident, sharp and dedicated. I give him manuals, and he ASKS me questions before I get to ask him. On his 3rd day, I have already given him tasks that I would normally give a graduate. At the end of each day, I love having discussions with him about what he has learned, what his observations are, and going through his tasks.

After he has completed his tasks, he says, ''What's next?''

He's so confident and sharp that I am secretly training him to take over my position. Hahaha.

So he follows me around to the control room. I will be letting him perform our annual stock count with the auditors as well as the tank dipping exercizes. He will get a flavor of pre-turnaround and major project exposure. Though it adds more hours to my work, it doesn't feel that way at all.

Thus far I have never asked my interns to make me coffee or the like. I'm not sure why some Malaysian staff in other companies do that. What a waste of talent.

In any case, I celebrate people and talent like Johnathan. I can only hope that he enjoys his internship as much as I have teaching and coaching him.

PS> My other colleagues and line manager love him too!

I'm thinking of getting him a Christmas present. Any suggestions?

2 comments:

  1. good for him and for you!
    i presume you would be able to recommend to the HR in your report later to absorb him when he graduates?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I would be able to recommend him to HR. He has 5 months with us. I am planning a ''project'' for him. Am very excited!

    ReplyDelete